I’m sick of people forgetting the poor vulva and referring to everything in the female lower reproductive tract as vagina.
To help people sort it out I have created this Venn diagram.
There are many reason to know the difference.
- Knowing your own personal anatomy is empowering.
- If you have a partner you want them to know your anatomy. If they think it’s all about the vagina you may need a different partner. After all, the vulva has the clitoris.
- If you tell your doctor that your vagina itches when it is really your vulva (or vice versa) you may end up with the wrong diagnosis.
- No one confuses male anatomy, when people say penis they don’t really mean the testicles.
- Female anatomy shouldn’t be reduced to annoying euphemisms. Yes, va-jay-jay is horrible, but vagina as a catch all means it doesn’t matter enough to get it right or that we can only talk about female anatomy in some silly way.
So it’s not the Great Wall of Vagina, it’s the Great Wall of Vulva. And if you bake vagina cupcakes they better not have lips (labia).