Romney and Ryan have confirmed their “pro-life” platform as have Akin, Mourdock et. al. (the list of GOP candidates who are over eager to be the “best most pro-life politician ever” is really too long). However, I am having a hard time accepting their “pro-life” commitment. I mean, if they were really “pro-life” wouldn’t they also be promoting these campaign promises?
- A national cord blood registry and collection bank. Cord blood is almost always discarded (a small percentage pay for private donation) and collecting it hurts no one. At all. However, cord blood has the potential to save thousands of people every year who need bone marrow transplants.
- Bone marrow donor registration. I have yet to hear any GOP candidate brag that they are a registered bone marrow donor (or blood donor for that matter). If it’s not a hardship for a woman to carry an unwanted pregnancy for 9 months and go through the physical trauma of birth, then a cheek swab to collect cells and a short little procedure to collect marrow is a big nothing in comparison. (BTW, if I were in charge I’d make registering free, give a $20 tax credit to anyone who registers, and a $500 tax credit to anyone who end up donating).
- Mandatory organ donation. Yup, you’re dead, what do you care what happens to your heart, liver, kidney, pancreas, small bowel, and lungs? I know Dick Cheney cares! Hey, the former VP could even stump with the GOP on this one. And if your religion forbids it, well, Romney and Ryan don’t care what your religion says about life and death, just theirs. Hey, separation of church and state is a case by case thing!
- Ban cigarettes. Look, they kill everyone! Never mind the 65-year-old with lung cancer, tobacco is a major contributor to stillbirths, premature delivery (#1 cause of infant death) and sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS).
- Publicly funded long-acting reversible contraception. Hey boys, this one is so science based and such a no brainer it will be in my
love letter10-point plan for Bill Maher about reducing the national debt! Contraception implants, injections, and the IUD reduce abortions. Restrictive laws do nothing but drive up legal costs and the costs for women.
- Universal high quality maternal care. I’m on the prematurity band wagon again, but it is THE #1 KILLER OF CHILDREN, so it should be right up there on the pro-life agenda. There is an amazing program at Parkland Hospital that has dramatically reduced prematurity, it’s called accessible, high-quality, no cost prenatal care. Insist on this kind of legislation, not mandatory ultrasounds.
- Universal health care. I know Mitt Romney doesn’t think that people without health insurance die, but they do. I’ve seen it. For a person to die for want of a simple screening test is deplorable.
So until I hear Romney, Ryan, and the rest of their kind talking about this kind of life saving legislation, I’ll take them for what they are. Power-hungry misogynists stomping on reproductive rights to drum up funds and shore up their base.
It’s not pro-life, it is pro-lie.